Manufacturing Engineer II
- Coachella, CA
- Full Time
- CAO- Engineering
Manufacturing Engineer II, Armtec Defense Technologies
Armtec Defense Technologies (Armtec) is an operating unit of the Transdigm Group (NYSE: TDG), an industry leader in aerospace and defense products and services. Armtec is comprised of three business units producing subcomponents for ordnance in Coachella, CA; decoy countermeasure flares in Camden AR; and radar countermeasure chaff in Lillington NC. At Armtec, we welcome skilled and enthusiastic people who share our determination and high standards to join us in our mission-critical work supporting the US and allied war-fighters who serve us all by defending democracy and protecting freedom. This position is staffed in Coachella, at Armtec’s world-class, sole-source production facility for felted fiber nitrocellulose combustible cartridge cases for medium and large caliber military ammunition; and pyrophoric payloads for training grenades.
Company: Armtec Defense Technologies is an operating unit of the TransDigm Group (NYSE: TDG).
Industry: Defense Manufacturing
Title: Manufacturing Engineer II
Job Family: Engineering
Reports to: Program Engineer
Works with: Mid-level managers and supervisors, peer engineers, operators, technicians, and suppliers.
Location: Coachella, California
Manufacturing Engineers at Armtec Defense Technologies are responsible for directly supporting our production operations by continually improving our production processes, tools, and equipment to help ensure they are always able to safely deliver on our customer and business commitments.
Our manufacturing engineers do this by: providing engineering focused observation and analysis on their assigned production systems to identify problems and risks early; troubleshooting issues with product quality and equipment downtime when our operations and maintenance teams encounter recurring or particularly difficult problems; and by identifying, implementing, and evaluating potential process and equipment changes to systematically reduce our risk of future process and equipment problems.
Our engineers are further called upon to improve the documentation and specifications for their production processes, including our operator work loops, equipment troubleshooting and maintenance procedures, and takt-driven process configurations in order to optimize process performance and institutionalize our learning on our production systems.
Our products are components in large and medium caliber ammunition products, and contain various levels of energetic materials, so safety is of paramount importance. We further strive to operate a pull-based lean production system, with clear operator signals and processes. This not only helps production efficiency and simplifies our engineering problem solving efforts, but it also helps us improve safety by minimizing energetic material in process. Our equipment consists mainly of electro-mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment that convert nitrocellulose based fibrous slurries into hard compression-molded parts that are subsequently shaped and finished.
- Improve our production processes, tools, and equipment
- Track, analyze, and use product and process data to identify opportunities to change the system to reduce rejects, down time, material costs, and labor hours
- Troubleshoot equipment and process problems, and create and implement improvements to the equipment and processes.
- Design and Develop efficient pull-system process flows for various takt times using Lean and industrial engineering principles
- Develop operator standard work sequences, standard work maps, and operator load charts
- Perform time studies on existing processes, and train operators on new process changes
- Design and develop job aids, fixtures, workstations, etc. to help improve the operator work cycles
- Develop manufacturing process failure modes and effects analyses
- Develop and improve equipment troubleshooting procedures, maintenance procedures, and spare parts lists
- Collaborate with internal customers on technical issues
- Improve manufacturing efficiencies, output, and reduce costs
- Work as part of an engineering team taking part in DFMEAs and PFMEAs
- Stay informed concerning new technologies, materials and equipment, and investigates potential applications.
- Understand and live by Armtec’s ethics and business conduct policies.
- Minimum 4-year degree in relevant Engineering field.
- 5+ years experience with application of Lean production methodologies, including pull systems and kanbans, to smooth production flow and meet takt.
- Strong problem solving and equipment troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and/or prototype, and implement basic modifications to electro-mechanical systems, process equipment, operator workstations, and job aids.
- Ability to collect and analyze production data to identify trends and correlations in order to aid problem identification and resolution. Prefer strong experience with statistical analysis, six-sigma green belt or better.
- Possess a high degree of creativity, and the ability to focus on rapid prototyping / rapid design-test cycles in order to continuously learn and improve.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to maintain a safe work environment
- Must be dependable, responsible, and detail oriented and have the ability to deal with people effectively.
- Prefer experience with manufacturing for energetics processing and Department of Defense safety requirements.
Armtec Behavioral Competencies
Demonstrate ability in the Armtec competencies as an employee: customer focus, ethics and values, problem solving, integrity and trust, functional/technical skills, listening, action-oriented, composure and values diversity.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- Minimum 4-year degree in relevant Engineering field and 5+ years of experience in an engineering role in a lean manufacturing environment.
- Must be a U.S. Person
Work Hours & Travel
- 4/10 work week M-Th and ability to support off-hours periodically as production needs require.
Please apply on-line on the Armtec Career Website, www.armtecdefense.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet