Safety Technician II
Safety Technician II, Armtec Defense Technologies
Armtec Defense Technologies (Armtec) is an operating unit of the Transdigm Group (NYSE: TDG), an industry leader in aerospace and defense products and services. Armtec is comprised of three business units producing subcomponents for ordnance in Coachella, CA; decoy countermeasure flares in Camden AR; and radar countermeasure chaff in Lillington NC. At Armtec, we welcome skilled and enthusiastic people who share our determination and high standards to join us in our mission-critical work supporting the US and allied war-fighters who serve us all by defending democracy and protecting freedom. This position is staffed in Coachella, at Armtec’s world-class, sole-source production facility for felted fiber nitrocellulose combustible cartridge cases for medium and large caliber military ammunition; and pyrophoric payloads for training grenades.
Company: Armtec Defense Technologies is an operating unit of the TransDigm Group (NYSE: TDG).
Industry: Manufacturing Combustible Ordnance and Countermeasures
Title: Safety Technician II
Job Family: Safety and Compliance
Reports to: Safety Supervisor
Works with: mid-level managers and supervisors, employees
Location: Coachella, California
Safety Technicians at Armtec serve a key role in the organization. As a producer of energetic nitrocellulose based products, safety, and even more uniquely, energetic materials safety, is first and foremost on our mind. Safety must advise all of our operational activities on an ongoing basis. From the operators and supervisors performing processes on the production floor, to the engineering and quality teams making production process improvements. All need to be cognizant of safety needs, procedures, and regulations, and thus we require in-depth involvement from our safety department to ensure that we protect our employees from harm.
As a safety technician, you will be assigned to regularly review assigned production programs to identify any safety issues and safety risks that may occur. This includes not only verifying existing safety controls and systems are in place and functional and that we are maintaining compliance with safety and environmental regulations, but also keeping an eye out for abnormal situations that have occurred, or issues that may have been missed during process engineering activities that represent safety risk for our employees. You will be responsible for, and have the authority to, shut down processes and equipment that may represent unacceptable safety risks to our staff. This includes not only energetic incident risks, but also more common industrial equipment injury risks, and ergonomic injury risks.
Safety technicians are also assigned periodically to participate on new process and equipment design teams in order to help ensure that Safety is designed in to our systems from the start. In the course of day-to-day operations, our Safety technicians inspect work areas and issue permits, evaluate change requests, and clear equipment and processes to re-enter operational status. They are additionally responsible for performing incident and accident investigations, and providing first aid and emergency response should they be needed.
- Audit assigned production programs for safety issues, including monitoring bay energetic limits, and observing for safe/unsafe behaviors. Document abnormalities and stop processes as needed.
- Provide Emergency Response in the event of Fires/Spills/Medical/Rescue situations.
- Perform basic first aid as needed.
- Lead Accident and Incident Investigations.
- Perform inspections of various safety systems and maintain accurate logs, including Personal Protective Equipment, fire suppression systems, eyewash stations, static reduction systems.
- Participate on equipment and process change and development projects to ensure safety requirements are known and designed-in.
- Perform Pre Start-up Safety Review of new and modified production equipment, and perform tooling qualification activities.
- Conduct safety orientations, and safety training for employees.
- Inspect work areas and write permits for any required hot-work, confined space work, or work potentially at risk of heat stress injuries.
- Maintain a written log of activities, issue Safety Action Requests, and write reports as needed.
- Assist in improving our overall safety organization’s processes, both from an effectiveness standpoint, but also from an efficiency standpoint.
- Ability to fill-in for the Senior Safety Technician when needed.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
- Understand and live by Armtec’s ethics and business conduct policies.
Qualifications and Education & Professional Work Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent, with minimum 3 years’ experience in a safety related role.
- Good understanding of basic industrial safety requirements. Prefer additional experience with Department of Defense Manual 4145.26 Contractor Safety Manual, and/or OSHA 3912, Process Safety Management
- Must be highly dependable, responsible, and punctual. Our operations cannot proceed without a Safety Technician on-site; therefore, our entire operations depend on our safety technicians being present and arriving on time as expected.
- Must be able to achieve Emergency Medical Technician Certification within 1 year. Strongly prefer current EMT certification.
- Must have basic computer skills, and good analytical and recordkeeping skills.
- Must be flexible and able to work various shifts 1st-4th. (M-Th mornings, M-Th evenings, Weekend F-Su mornings, Weekend F-Su evenings, or bridge-shifts).
- Must be responsible, accurate, an avid learner, and have the ability to work independently and deal with people effectively.
- Must be a U.S. Person*
- Demonstrate ability in the Armtec competencies as an employee: customer focus, ethics and values, problem solving, integrity and trust, functional/technical skills, listening, action-oriented, composure and values diversity.
Please apply on-line on the Armtec Career Website, www.armtecdefense.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
*U.S. Person is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (I-551 Permanent Resident Card/Green Card holder).