Research Chemist Senior, Armtec Defense Technologies
Armtec Defense Technologies (Armtec) is an operating unit of the Transdigm Group (NYSE: TDG), an industry leader in aerospace and defense products and services. Armtec is comprised of three business units producing subcomponents for ordnance in Coachella, CA; decoy countermeasure Flares in Camden AR; and radar countermeasure chaff in Lillington NC. At Armtec, we welcome skilled and enthusiastic people who share our determination and high standards to join us in our mission-critical work supporting the US and allied war-fighters who serve us all by defending democracy and protecting freedom. This position is staffed in Camden, AR., at Armtec’s world-class facility for decoy countermeasure Flares.
Company: Armtec Defense Technologies is an operating unit of the TransDigm Group (NYSE:TDG
Industry: Manufacturing Combustible Ordnance and Countermeasures
Title: Sr. Research Chemist
Job Family: Engineering
Reports to: Manager R&D
Works with: Mid-level Managers & Supervisors, Engineering Staff
Location: East Camden, AR
Type: Full Time
Investigate and test chemical and physical properties of production and new materials for flares and related products. Lead aspects of design of new products. Significant contributor to improvement of chemical requirements and analysis for production process controls. Setup and test new lab equipment and document test results of production and equipment. Perform various technical assignments in support of Production and Research and Development projects as directed by the Manager. Lead problem solving arising in the manufacturing processes involving chemical and material properties of ingredients and process materials. The Sr. Research Chemist is responsible for the design, development and testing of next-generation pyrotechnic materials and related products to support strategic business growth programs. The work will require good working knowledge of chemistry, and especially hands-on experience in analytical chemistry techniques. The Sr. Research Chemist must possess the creativity and innovation needed to solve technical problems of a chemical nature. This position also requires ability to lead teams in effective problem-solving.
- Works with Manager of R&D to develop solutions to technology gaps.
- Mentors Junior level chemists and lab technicians.
- Investigates and tests legacy and new materials.
- Identify and specify analytical instruments required to support ongoing research programs.
- Initiates, leads and participates in continuous improvement efforts for legacy and new products and processes.
- Documents and maintains records or work regarding tests performed, procedures and reports.
- Contribute to defining credible research and development ideas to explore, evaluate, pursue and support the implementation of business-growth strategies.
- Provide technical support to design engineers for scale-up and/or prototyping of potential new products.
- Organize and safely manage a laboratory workspace.
- Writes procedures and instructions for the fabrication of new or developing projects.
- Assists in evaluating proposed process changes and their impact on quality, safety and productivity prior to implementation.
- Organizes and analyzes laboratory data, report data and data interpretation through written and oral presentations.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Takes initiative to find and solve process and product problems.
- Ability to analyze test data and apply sound judgment to reach a logical conclusion.
- Uses sound judgment to make project decisions based on data that properly weigh schedule, cost, safety and effectively.
- Presents a professional face of the ARO Engineering group to internal and external customers.
- Proven ability to develop new chemical and physical test processes and methods.
- Proven problem solving ability using systematic problem solving processes.
- Experience with energetic or similar hazardous materials.
- Understanding of laboratory quality systems, DoD quality requirements and ISO standards. Experience of measurement systems analysis and process variation reduction.
- Initiative to work effectively with little direction and/or few guidelines and document work effectively.
- Proven ability to work effectively as an individual or with a team and with R & D and production personnel utilizing all available resources.
- U.S citizenship
- Good communication skills; both written and oral.
- Ability to write detailed procedures/reports as required.
- Customer Focus Knows and understands the needs of internal and external customers. Is results oriented and works hard to consistently provide exceptional service.
- Ethics and Values Adheres to an effective set of core values and beliefs and acts in accordance. Rewards the right values and disapproves of others.
- Problem Solving Looks beyond the obvious to find effective solutions.
- Integrity and Trust Widely trusted and seen as direct and truthful.
- Functional/Technical Skills Possesses the skills to be effective in the job. Has the skills to perform the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Listening Practices active and attentive listening, able to hear others.
- Action-oriented Full of energy, willing to take action.
- Composure Cool under pressure, not knocked off balance by the unexpected, is a settling influence.
- Values Diversity Supports fair and equal treatment for all.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- BS degree in Chemistry.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a manufacturing facility.
Please apply on-line on the Armtec Career Website, www.armtecdefense.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet