Vice President of Sales and Marketing
- Coachella, CA
- Full Time
- CAO - Platform Sales and Marketing
Vice President of Sales & Marketing, Armtec Defense Technologies
Armtec Defense Technologies (Armtec) is an operating unit of the TransDigm Group (NYSE: TDG), a global leader in highly-engineered aerospace and defense products and services. Armtec develops and supplies sub-components for military ammunition in Coachella, CA; and is a Prime Contractor for advanced aircraft countermeasures in East Camden AR (Flares) and Lillington NC (Chaff). This position is staffed in Coachella, at Armtec’s world-class, sole-source production facility for nitrocellulose felted-fiber combustible cases for tank, mortar and artillery ammunition; and training payloads for 40mm grenades. Armtec is an Equal Opportunity Employer providing equal access to all applicants without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Company: Armtec Defense Technologies is an operating unit of TransDigm (NYSE: TDG).
Industry: Defense Manufacturing – Large Caliber Ammunition (LCA), Medium Caliber Ammunition, (MCA), and Expendable Countermeasures
Title: Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Job Family: Business Development, Strategy, Contracts, and Sales
Reports to: President of Armtec Defense Technologies
Works with: The Vice President of Sales & Marketing (VP S&M) is a member of Armtec’s executive management team. The VP S&M is a peer with the Director of Human Resources, our 3 Site Leader/General Managers, the Vice President of Finance, the Vice President of Operations, and the Vice President of Engineering. The VP S&M leads solid-line a team responsible for Bookings, New Business Development, Sales Execution, Contracting, and Contracts Regulatory Compliance (Import and Export, including the ITAR). The VP S&M also leads dotted-line the Business Unit Management and Program Management process our 3 sites. The VP S&M works with all levels of company employees, plus collaborates extensively with senior Department of Defense civilian and military acquisition executives.
Location: Coachella, California. Relocation is required.
Reporting to the President, the VP S&M will lead their function in driving organic growth and sales execution for Armtec, though our three business units. They will be responsible for formulating the Company’s sales strategy; developing and directly overseeing the Company’s annual sales budget and bookings plan; and lead all sales, marketing, contracting and export compliance activities to lay a strong foundation for the Company’s long-term competitiveness.
The VP S&M will be a strong collaborator across the company, and an evangelist for developing innovative, competitive, profitable product lines. Will also build relationships with internal and external customers and understand how to leverage them to gain access to key decision-makers. In addition, the VP S&M will have an intimate understanding of customer needs with a clear view of what is required to win and maintain business. The VP S&M will also be a compelling communicator both internally and externally, for employees, corporate executive management, industry peers, military service members, and U.S. and international customers.
Crucial Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Key metrics are Bookings and Sales for the Coachella Ordnance Business Unit, the Lillington Chaff Business Unit, and the Camden Flares Business Unit. Other important metrics include contractual and regulatory compliance, department budget performance, win ratio, and win margins, and occupational safety for direct reports.
- Maintain direct customer relationships with government and military customers. Determine market drivers, customer needs and growth prospects within the industry. “Maintain a pulse” on where the industry is heading to drive introduction of new and innovative products.
- Collaborate with Engineering to identify new product and technology priorities. Collaborate with site leaders and Business Unit Managers Obtain and analyze competitive and industry intelligence to create situational awareness for business strategy development.
- Analyze USG budget documents including the President’s Budget Request, enacted DoD annual Budget, and the Future Year’s Defense Program (FYDP) to mine, develop and validate Armtec’s multi-year sales forecast and annual operating plan. Work directly with Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps decision makers to shape procurements towards our competencies.
- Develop the Bookings plan and win new profitable orders that fulfill the Sales plan with appropriate focus in both domestic and international markets.
- Lead our network of consultants, international agents, and business development resources.
- Serve as the overall champion for proposal activities, producing professional and compelling messages that reflect well on Armtec and meet complex Government requirements.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards and business ethics standards. Understand and live by Armtec’s business code of conduct, operating policies, and safety procedures
- Act as a champion for our culture than focuses on productivity, new business growth, and value-based pricing; instilling this mind-set throughout the organization.
- Leverage partnerships, industry associations and build a network of effective relationships internally with business leaders and externally with key customers.
- Attract, develop, retain and reward talent across the organization to ensure bench strength while implementing succession planning.
- Lead the ITAR and EAR compliance process across Armtec, leveraged through a direct solid line reporting team of Technology Control Officers in our sites.
The VP S&M must balance strategy and execution, with an ability to work “hands-on” and “high-level” as the situation dictates. Must simplify and streamline complex issues, and quickly implement improvements.
- The ideal candidate will have more than 15 years experience in aerospace industry sales and marketing, with 5 years in a leadership role, ideally with a background in military programs. Experience in energetics and ammunition will be a differentiator for successful applicants, as will experience negotiating and reviewing complex contracts.
- Must be a U.S. Person
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Science or Engineering, or other relevant field is required. An alternative degree with military or other relevant experience may also be suitable.
- MBA or other relevant graduate degree is strongly preferred. Should have high financial acumen with the proven track record to report, evaluate and discuss financial statements, corporate financials, results, and take decisive actions to remediate or enhance company financial performance.
- U.S. Government classified security clearance is not mandatory but is preferred.
- Must be a confident and capable communicator: written, computer, virtual and in-person.
- Should possess the potential to develop laterally into another VP role and ultimately into Armtec’s President role over time.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated competencies in the following areas:
- Results Orientation: The ideal VP of Sales & Marketing candidate will have demonstrated a track record of enabling profitable growth for a complex business, even when there are obstacles or adverse circumstance working against the business. They will have a demonstrated track record of creating value for customers.
- Team Leadership/Change Management: The ideal candidate will have built high-performance teams, and will embrace a culture of performance and accountability. This individual will inspire and engage direct reports as well as to resolve issues through collaborative problem solving.
- Strategic/Commercial Orientation: The successful candidate will have a proven track record of thinking beyond the status quo and developing a strategic but practical go-to-market sales plan that drives long term revenue growth.
- Critical Thinking: The candidate will have a proven ability to implement sales processes that stand out in the marketplace, be energized by new challenges, creating better ways of doing things and overcoming barriers in achieving objectives and higher levels of business performance. They should understand how to integrate market and competitive trends, organizational state, and other issues into a coherent vision for change and growth, and link this vision into a series of initiatives and priorities that are compelling and logical.
- Collaboration and Influencing: They must be a good listener who uses fact-based persuasion and passion to influence key stakeholders. Gaining the support and involvement of key internal constituencies will be critical to success, as will influencing key external customers and suppliers. The successful candidate must therefore have excellent skills at influencing outcomes, and shaping and catalyzing dialogue outside the organization. Credibility and integrity are crucial.
- Importantly, Armtec realizes that each candidate will have specific strengths and weaknesses, and that no one candidate will likely meet every experience item. Thus, candidates with the most practical balance of skills will be preferred.
- 4X10 workweek with additional exempt work time as necessary
- Regular travel including international will be required.
- Please apply on-line on the Armtec Career Website, www.armtecdefense.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet