Industrial Automation Engineer
- Coachella, CA
- Full Time
Industrial Automation Engineer, Armtec Defense Technologies
Armtec Defense Technologies (Armtec) is an operating unit of the Transdigm Group (NYSE: TDG), an industry leader in aerospace and defense products and services. Armtec is comprised of three business units producing subcomponents for ordnance in Coachella, CA; decoy countermeasure flares in Camden AR; and radar countermeasure chaff in Lillington NC. At Armtec, we welcome skilled and enthusiastic people who share our determination and high standards to join us in our mission-critical work supporting the US and allied war-fighters who serve us all by defending democracy and protecting freedom. This position is staffed in Coachella, at Armtec’s world-class, sole-source production facility for felted fiber nitrocellulose combustible cartridge cases for medium and large caliber military ammunition; and pyrophoric payloads for training grenades.
Company: Armtec Defense Technologies is an operating unit of the TransDigm Group (NYSE: TDG).
Industry: Manufacturing Combustible Ordnance and Countermeasures
Title: Industrial Automation Engineer
Job Family: Engineers
Reports to: Program Engineer
Works with: Mid-level managers and supervisors, peer engineers and technicians, and suppliers.
Location: Coachella, California
Industrial Automation Engineers at Armtec design, program, implement, troubleshoot, and improve our electronic control systems to better automate, control, and monitor our production processes. The Industrial Automation Engineer applies comprehensive electrical engineering skills and industry experience in support of the design, fabrication, and implementation of new equipment. They need to be proficient in a variety of logic control hardware, HMI’s and programming software, as well as the associated sensors, vision systems, motors, drives, actuators, and industrial communication networks. They are solely responsible for writing and modifying our control logic programs. They further provide expert-level troubleshooting support on existing automated equipment as a backstop for our maintenance technicians. Depending on the complexity of the equipment needed, they may additionally serve as the project lead for an entire piece of automated equipment, and thus may also coordinate activities for internal mechanical designers and/or external contractors to deliver a turn-key piece of production equipment.
Our existing control systems at Armtec are primarily based around Allen Bradley logic controllers, however we do have various other systems including Mitsubishi, Siemens, and Beckhoff based systems that we occasionally need to work with. The equipment these systems control are multi-station assembly systems, presses, trimmers, and fluid handling systems that consist of a variety of electro-mechanical, hydraulic, optical, and pneumatic devices.
In general, our equipment is designed to process liquid slurries, metal powders, and solid energetic parts and assemble them into final products in a highly controlled, safe, and consistent manner.
- Design and program new and/or upgraded control systems for our manufacturing equipment to be used on both new and existing products.
- Provide troubleshooting support to maintenance technicians on particularly difficult equipment problems.
- Define and document requirements for new control systems and control system upgrades.
- Build and construct prototype equipment and control systems in order to evaluate the ability of designs to achieve their intended purpose.
- Prepare design review documentation to facilitate peer and leadership review
- Document control systems using control schematics, electrical diagrams, panel layouts, and through meticulous software program comments.
- Develop and perform system verification and validation tests to ensure safe and proper functioning.
- Provide guidance, mentoring, and assistance to peers and junior engineers and technicians.
- Coordinate with Program Managers, R&D, Engineering and Management to prepare detailed plans and estimates for equipment in support of capital expenditure requests.
- Prepares statements of work and compile cost estimates for new control equipment
- Assists with make/buy decisions and oversee the design and build process for outsourced systems.
- Stays informed concerning new technologies, materials and equipment, and investigates potential applications.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
- Understand and live by Armtec’s ethics and business conduct policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline with 5+ years of automation engineering experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and deploying automated control systems in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot AC/DC electrical equipment problems and perform complex system tests.
- Experience implementing Allen Bradley Micrologix, SLC500, ControlLogix and CompactLogix PLC’s and PanelView Plus as well as other more basic HMI’s.
- Ladder Logic programming experience using RSLogix 500, and Studio 5000
- HMI development experience, prefer experience with FactoryTalk View Studio
- Experience with Industrial networks including Ethernet, Ethercat, Modbus, ControlNet, and DeviceNet.
- Cognex Vision inspection system and experience with various servo drive/controllers
- Prefer experience with creating schematics in Autocad Electrical.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills required.
- Demonstrate ability in the Armtec competencies as an employee: customer focus, ethics and values, problem solving, integrity and trust, functional/technical skills, listening, action-oriented, composure and values diversity.
Education & Professional Work Experience Requirements
- Must be a U.S. Person
Please apply on-line on the Armtec Career Website, www.armtecdefense.com
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Vet